Thursday, May 14, 2015

Praying II

Matthew 6:9 - Pray this way then. "Our father, the one in heaven. Your name be sanctified."

That aorist passive imperative is weird to translate!

Anyway, the Lord's prayer in Greek. Greek does not have a formal 'you' like many languages. In the KJV this prayer is translated with the informal thou. Yet, many people use this version thinking the language is exalted and formal - thus honoring God. Really, the intention was to connote a familial relationship - familiar enough to use informal language.

So today we might say something like - Dad (Daddy) in heaven, you are holy. Which sounds weird to our ears because we only think of exalting God rather than claiming our familial relationship.

I was at my CPE interview the other day and we talked about being able to remain in relationship with people we found difficult. I really liked the way Barb put that and it has come up since. In the racial justice conversation at Curt's yesterday, for example. I really like the thought of claiming this familial relationship. I'm not sure how one goes about it though.

I am so good at protecting myself that sometimes I miss the opportunity to let down my guard and let the perceived "threat" happen. This will be my new way of looking at things! This might just be a first step into a familial relationship with God - trusting that my dad will be with me and we can handle it! I will watch myself in this regard today.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment