Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Stop judging

Matthew 7:1 - Stop judging, so that you may/will not be judged.

This is judgment in a negative sense of course. Yet it is not merely finding fault with others! It is more along the lines of bringing someone into court, accusing them of something, judging them harshly and possibly unfairly.

The second part is more taken to court. Stop judging others or they might just find enough fault with you to take you before a judge.

This could be spoken to Americans today. Especially those in the news media and the talking heads. They make their living judging others harshly in public, pretending that their own lives are pure and without fault. Yet we all know that is not the case and they inevitably are caught - and then caught in the publicity web of their own making.

For me personally, this tells me that while my judgment may be correct, I would do better to focus on my own faults. The following verses bear this out. However, there are times when I need to judge negatively for my own or someone else's protection. For example, someone who is cruel to me will not continue to enjoy the pleasure of my company. Someone who is cruel to others will hear about it. This requires not just judgment but action. Avoiding or confronting.

And this brings me to Eric and Debbie and RPPC. Ugh. We received an email yesterday about the upcoming weeks. It all feels very controlled and stifling. The session will be assigning people to committees rather than letting people choose. That seems very wrong. Along with Eric's tone while preaching, it is starting to rub me even more the wrong way than it had before. Of course they are afraid that no one will step up and the church will close. Which is a valid fear. Yet, I do not see trust in God in any of this. Not in Eric's preaching (which is mostly lecturing and yelling) and not in the plan for getting people to volunteer.

It feels very much as though it is being forced down my throat. And that feels icky and abusive. I am not sure exactly what my response to it will be. I suggested to Peter that I may speak up. I still might. But I will talk it over with Joellen and Maria first. They are full of wisdom. I do not wish to just disappear. Yet I want to respond lovingly and with dignity and grace for all. So how to do this without judging negatively? Share my experience. How am I experiencing this process? Let them respond how they will.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment