Sunday, June 21, 2015

Holy things

Matthew 7:6 - Do not give holy things to dogs nor throw your pearls in front of pigs lest they trample them under their feet (treat them with disdain) and turn and attack you.

So, questions. What are the holy things, the pearls? And what do the dogs and swine represent here?

I think when I was growing up I knew instinctively not to share myself too much with my family. They would only have ammunition if I did. The things I cherished and cared about. Even now, I know that my family and I do not always see eye to eye. Sometimes they react badly; sometimes I react badly. Even with Peter. I forget how much he values helping others in necessary ways. I shared with him last night about the monks using the proceeds of their begging to buy neighborhood kids ice cream. Which I thought was sweet and Peter immediately criticized for not using the money for necessities. I think Peter sometimes doesn't realize how others like having fun, because he is very serious.

Of course, that is a minor example. But it illustrates how much we can all be swine and dogs to each other when we are not careful. Or even on purpose.

I was thinking during mediation this morning about the song La Bamba. In particular, the line - to dance the La Bamba one needs a little grace. A little grace for you; a little grace for me. We all need grace. Because we can all act like dogs and swine about some things. Not truly understanding the value of some things. Even if the value is subjective. So I can give Peter grace because he gives me grace.

The much bigger lesson here is the idea that we need to be aware of others. We need to have good judgment regarding them. We need to pay attention so that we do not set ourselves up to be hurt unintentionally. We need to recognize who is safe for us, what they are safe for and who is not. Wise as serpents, gentle as doves. Wisdom consists in seeing others as they are and acting accordingly. Therefore, one does not tell their most intimate stories to someone who is likely to tear it down.

This also means we can learn how to communicate with others. We can take the measure of others and know what is likely to set them off and what is safe to say. There is no reason to tell all our secrets to everyone we meet. I think this does not just protect us but it also protects others. We do not talk about holy things with atheists - not because they are dogs or swine - but because they may be annoyed and/or treat them with disdain.

We need to be cognizant of who we are talking with and take their feelings into account in our conversations.

Wise as serpents, gentle as doves.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment