Saturday, November 12, 2016

Suffering

Matthew 17:12 - Truly I tell you Elijah has come and they (we) did not know him, and they (we) did to them whatever they wanted. So also the sons of humankind must suffer at their hands.

These words to Jesus' disciples are words for all of us. I have changed them because our call is not to peace. Jesus said he came to bring discord, not peace. Discord because the message has been rejected, discord because those who fight for justice will be persecuted. I am grieving because my inaction has in some small way helped Donald Trump be elected president.

Now, I am feeling very strongly the Spirit's wish to put my principles into more action. I am feeling very strongly the call to work against the Republicans' plans to gut Medicare, Obamacare and Social Security. I am feeling the SPirits' call to work against all those who would hurt or harm another. To speak out against violence against women, LGBTQ people, people who are disabled in any way, Muslims, Jewish people, Mexican people. I cannot help but see the parallels to Hitler and I cannot stand by and see people harmed.

Lord, help me in my weakness to hear this call and to follow through. Help me to not become complacent again, to continually turn toward you for sustenance and support when I do become complacent.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment