Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Prayer and Fasting

Matthew 17:21 - But this kind are only cast out through prayer and fasting.

This verse was removed from my copy, suggesting that it's authenticity is disputed. Yet, I think it is important to think about. Prayer is something that is available to us all. Fasting as well. Fasting maybe not in the sense of not eating but perhaps not consuming more than our share of anything - clothes, electricity, gas, and of course food. So, by staying in constant contact with God and by being aware of what and how we consume - and why! - we become closer to God and to our true self.

For me, when I pray about something daily, hourly, every second, ideas come to me as I pray. Sometimes they are shit! Yet, other times, they are good and work. Prayer opens my mind to solutions rather than keeping focused on the problem. If I'm not praying about a problem, I get ideas about my next steps for the day. Prayer and fasting are truly actions for lent - yet we are in a kind of lent. Waiting for the president-elect to take office. We are, as Fred Clark would say, still in Holy Saturday. Yet, we know Easter will come.

What to do while we wait? Pray, fast, help others.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment