Monday, January 4, 2016

With me or against me

Matthew 12:30 - For he who is not with me is against me and he who does not gather, scatters.

In other words, if I do not speak out about injustice, terrorism, lies or other atrocities - or find a way to amplify my voice or add it to others' voices, I am complicit. Only by pushing back can I claim to be with Jesus.

Clearly it is not possible for me to speak out on every topic, yet there are others who do it for me. I need to add my voice, write letters to congresspeople, mayors, governors and others. When I can I can join protests. Sometimes I cannot - that does not make me complicit.

If I am not working in some way, pushing back in some way, I am complicit in the injustice of police brutality, racism, white terrorism and other stuff. Thomas Merton said it, "We are all guilty." That is a hard, yet necessary pill to swallow. Accepting my guilt, lamenting the situation, speaking out against aggressors. ONly then am I with Jesus.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment