Thursday, January 7, 2016

Forgiveness and the Holy Spirit

Matthew 12:31-2 - Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will be forgiven. And whoever says a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or the age to come.

I'll be honest - I have no idea HOW one would speak against the Holy Spirit. It would have to be brutal words in order to spark unforgiveness. Especially since one can speak against the Son of Man (Jesus!) and be forgiven. I think it's best in this passage to focus on the sins that ARE forgivable - which are those you and I commit every day. These include horrible sins in addition to the garden variety sins most people commit. Murder, rape, burglary, betrayal. Jesus prayed for those who tortured and killed him.

I take comfort in the words of Psalm 139 - There is nowhere I can go that you are not already there. Amen.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment