Monday, December 28, 2015

Blind and Mute

Matthew 12:22 - They brought to him a demoniac who was blind and mute and he healed him; so that he that was blind could speak and see.

I think of the hymn Amazing Grace whenever I think of being blind. There are so many ways I continue to be blind - and the thing about blindness is that it cannot be seen. Only when our eyes have been opened can we know that we have been blind. That is why we continue to worship, to read and study and to work with others. Being in fellowship with others helps us see where we are blind.

I am blind because of my socialization yet I am mute by choice. Once I see where I have been blind - for example, about police treatment of black men - it is my responsibility to speak up. What causes me to choose to silence my voice rather than adding it to the voices of others?

Comfort - I do not want the backlash nor do I want to stand out in the cold. This is selfish. By not becoming part of the solution I remain part of the problem. By not speaking out, I remain complicit in the actions of others. I think 2016 will be a year where I continue to practice both speaking out and dealing with the inevitable and undesirable consequences. Because I am also afraid to speak out.

My prayer today is that I become more willing each day to take that risk.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment