Monday, July 30, 2018

Maturity


Matthew 23:36 – “Truly I tell you, all this will come upon this generation.”

Jesus has predicted the continued shedding of the blood of those who speak  truth to power. He was right. In every generation, those who work to change the injustices fashioned by the rulers are often killed, put in prison, or tortured. Not because God willed or wills it, but rather because power cannot stand a challenge. This is especially true when those in power are authoritarian and expect the rest of us to just obey. This seems to be what 45 expected when he became president and his followers seem to agree.

This is partially a result of our socialization and upbringing. I’ll repeat myself by stating that until we recognize the lies we have been taught and the truths that have been kept from us in our childhood, we will not be our authentic selves. The things we learn at home, at school, and at church are not always the things we were intended to learn. To the extent we identify unquestioningly with those lies, to that extent we will be certain of our beliefs. If my entire identity rests on the appearance of obeying rules or following orders without question, I have not yet matured. I would be like a child no matter my physical age.

I am authentic only to the extent that I choose freely the rules I live by. Sure, some of them may mirror those of society, but I still must agree that they are good rules. If I disagreed, I may not follow them. To the extent that my rules are my own choice, I will be mature. To the extent that I follow the rules and mores I was taught without question, I am not free. This freedom of self-hood is partially what enabled people like Dr. King or Dietrich Bonhoeffer to resist the evil in their midst. They knew who they were and they chose their morals and their actions followed.

This is a rich and profound idea. For our lives may not necessarily change when this happens. As an example, let’s look at Sarah Edwards. She was the wife of Jonathan Edwards, famous for his sermon, “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.” If you’re interested in the evangelical mindset, this sermon gives a glimpse into how they see God and the world around them. It highlights how important submission was then and it remains so today.

Back to Sarah. By her own telling, for two weeks in 1742 Sarah saw visions and received comforts from God. Sometimes these experiences were so intense that she fainted. She shared these visions and comforts with those around her. The end result of these visions was that she no longer served her family. She had a new “master,” God alone. She continued to take care of her husband and family as before, but she no longer thought of her husband as her master. She was submitting only to God. In choosing her path freely, she matured emotionally and spiritually.

You might think this example is pushing it a bit. Maybe so. I do have another example to share; a link to a quote from Bonnhoeffer’s prison writing. In it he discusses the dangers of people who are self-satisfied; the people that have not questioned the lies they were told. Go read it. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2018/07/29/sunday-favorites-262/

No comments:

Post a Comment