Monday, January 2, 2017

Temptations

Matthew 18:7 - Woe to the world for its temptations to sin; temptations to sin must come, yet woe to the one through whom they come.

I am thinking of this by interpreting the word 'world' as society. As a product of fallible humans, society itself is fallible. And therefore, has many temptations to sin build within it. Sin. I have heard one definition of sin as "breaking relationship with." When I choose to read over spending time with my loved ones, sometimes that is breaking relationship. If I choose to hurt another, I am breaking the relationship. If I choose to not pray, I am breaking the relationship I have with God. Relationships are work - well for some of us anyway.

And as such, I need to make sure I do my part to keep my relationships strong. That means keeping in contact, praying for others, listening when my friends or family talk. It means letting go of my own concerns momentarily and immersing myself in my friends' concerns.

Yes, our world has many temptations to break relationships with others. It cannot be a coincidence that my word for this year is relational. I want to view situations and people in their context rather than discrete entities. To do that I must be out in the "sinful" world and listen.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment