Thursday, March 11, 2021

BLESSED

 (Part 3 of a 5-part series. Part 1 here, Part2 here.)

BLESSED

One morning, I was praying the sorrowful mysteries on the Rosary. The sorrowful mysteries are the final humiliations of Jesus’s life: the trial, the beatings, the carrying of the cross, and the cross. So, I was thinking about severe abuse as I was walking in my neighborhood. That’s when it happened. I had a sudden and abrupt, almost violent, reorientation of my brain. I realized, for the first time, without a shadow of a doubt that Jesus UNDERSTOOD. All my life I had felt misunderstood by everyone around me; what I desired most in life was someone who understood. And Jesus showed me that he understood my pain, my confusion, my trauma. I knew it in a way I can’t explain. Jesus understood and loved me, not in the abstract, but in a real way. A way that made a difference in my life.

Blessed.

Being blessed does not mean we have wealth, big houses, fancy cars, private jets, or even a happy life. The blessing in life is to be loved by God, by ourselves, and by others. That experience was a corner-turning, defining moment in my own salvation story. Yet, in my faith tradition, we are not saved to then sit back and be comfortable. No. We are saved to serve, to be a blessing to others.

Blessed.

Sometimes, being a blessing to others comes at a cost. This past Sunday, the Rev. Dr. Barber preached a sermon that redefines what it means to be blessed. Using Dr. Martin Luther King’s writing, he points out that the push-back we get when we follow Jesus by advocating for justice is part of the blessing. King’s point is that when we follow Jesus, those in power don’t like it. Power preserves the status quo. There will be push-back and it will not be pleasant. Just look at all the violent push-back from the Black Lives Matter protests last summer. As Jesus says in Matthew 5:10, “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

Blessed.

Fortunately, there will also be support. As we grow further and go deeper in love, we will be able to do more than we thought. Barber himself talks about Jesus continually asking him to march, when his legs hurt badly afterward. I too have to ask why God wants me to march and work on behalf of the least of these when the sun wilts me. When I did outreach to homeless people in Chicago, my health suffered. God and my God-given desire to do the work in spite of the cost got me through. My body may have been scathed, but my spirit was joyous.

Blessed.

May you be blessed.

B

 


No comments:

Post a Comment