Sunday, March 12, 2017

Witnesses

Matthew 18:16 - And if they will not listen, take with you two or three witnesses, that every word may be confirmed by two or three witnesses.

This is how important relationships are to God. Do not give up on your friends, neighbors, enemies the first time they let you down. Talk with them, discuss with them and be prepared for them to talk with you as well. None of us are perfect and we all deserve the chances Jesus is suggesting here. Staying in the relationship is the important thing; no matter how troubled. This does not go for people whose lives are at stake - that should go without saying. Everyone needs to choose their level of engagement in that situation.

This is a revelation to me. I am one to write people off - not as not having worth but more as I do not need to be around them. I have not had the skills to stay in a relationship long-term. I'm learning them now! I am learning to stay engaged as much as possible but I still think of Rick, whom I did write off, and Eric, who couldn't hear. I sometimes wonder if I could have somehow saved these relationships. And, when I stop to think about it, there are many others, such as Mark. Clearly, I judge too harshly in an effort to provide self-protection. Now my self-protection skills are getting in the way of my having a healthy life and healthy relationships. Something to repent of in this Lenten season.
b

No comments:

Post a Comment