Friday, November 28, 2014

Ferguson

Ugh. On Wednesday, Peter and I went to the GNP Thanksgiving dinner. When the time came to go around the room for thanks, Bud started out by thanking God for forgiveness. Because we are all in this mess of a racist society (my words) and we all benefit and contribute in various ways. But with forgiveness, we are free to act rather than spend all our energy on denial. That is true freedom: freedom to choose our responses rather than the prison of reacting on autopilot.

My anger over the non-indictment has now turned to a profound sadness - a mourning with those who mourn. I feel God's presence urging me to speak up in some way. So this is a small start. I have been pondering who I can writ to or contact to protest and request that the federal government now get involved. (I went to Holder's website and they are on it.) Although I do not have much hope that that would change anything. Obama has responded with the status quo rather than denouncing the obvious racism for what it is. I wonder if he knows how many people are disappointed that he is more concerned with appearances than substance.

Anyway, I think I have been sitting too long. It is time to put forth some effort.

Holy Sadness. I think once my application for UofC is in, I will think about rewriting my "Wait" sermon. It would go well in this instance. I pray for guidance - fBurther guidance. Guidance and Strength.

Strength to remember that this is the way it has always been. There is always some group at the bottom and the people at the top conspire to keep them there. It was this way in Jesus' day and before. All the psalms talk about the injustices that face people on a regular basis. I think Psalm 88 applies here. We pray and pray and nothing really changes. Yet, it is a psalm of hope - because we continue to pray.

God forgive us for we know not what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment