Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Service is Love

Matthew 26:17 – Now in the first day of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?”

Two things about this passage. First, the disciples do not ask whether Jesus made preparations for a place to eat the Passover. They ask where he wants them to do so. Jesus has already made the preparations, and the disciples knew this. I’m reminded that so much of Jesus’s life is left out of the Bible account. It happens off screen. But these little details peek through to remind us that Jesus was human and had to do many things as a human. (Let your imagination run wild here.) Often, we forget that in light of his godhood.

While that is an important point by itself, the disciples also don’t ask Jesus what he wants them to do. They can see what needs to be done and they merely ask where to do it. This is a loving act in at least two ways. First, they know Jesus and their own culture well enough to know what needs to be done. This requires paying attention to the culture and the person; a form of love. We tend not to pay too much attention to things that we don’t love or that do not interest us; unless they represent a threat to us.

Which makes me ask myself, how well do I know those around me that I claim to love. How much attention do I pay them? This idea comes up for me at funerals. I always find out so much about people I thought I knew well. I can’t count how many times I’ve been surprised at funerals.

I was thinking about this in relation to my mom. We have not always had the best relationship; although it has improved greatly. We have both changed and grown in the last few years. I was thinking about something this morning, and my mind supplied a comment from my mom – as if she hadn’t changed. I had to stop myself short and remind myself that she wouldn’t say that now. I know her well enough to recognize my error. Moreover, I love her enough to correct it.

 But the thing is, I live thousands of miles away from my family. I am not involved in their day-to-day activities. I don’t keep in touch often enough to learn what everyone is doing. Part of that is the time difference. Part of that is my natural loner personality. The question I must ask myself is – how much is that I can’t be bothered? How much is that I could show my love for them more often?

I bring this up, because while meditating this morning, I had a disciple moment. I had the desire to increase my capacity to love. I have a prayer exercise that I pray daily for that purpose, but it seems my heart’s desire is for more. And couldn’t we all use more love?

That brings me to the second way the disciples’ actions show love:  preparedness. The disciples were prepared to do what needed to be done. They didn’t have to be asked, cajoled, or begged. They were prepared to do it. Of course, we don’t know all the dynamics between them. Maybe there was an argument or cajoling. But at that moment, they were prepared. What about us? Are we prepared to help others at any moment? No matter how big or small the need”? Do we need to be asked, cajoled, or begged into being of service to God through being of service to those we love or to others?

Jesus said, “whatever you do for the least of these, you have done it for me.” I have to admit that sometimes I do not see Jesus in others. I miss the spark of the divine that shines in each of us. I don’t always look with the eyes of that kind of love. But I think that is one goal of the Christian life; to acquire that kind of vision and love. The love that recognizes both the divinity and the humanity and is prepared to help, no matter the size of the need.

Let’s increase our capacity to love.

B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment