Monday, May 11, 2020

Simon the Leper


Matthew 26:6 – Now, when Jesus was in the home of Simon the Leper …

This verse convicted me this morning. At the start of our stay-at-home orders, our neighbor was having a hard time getting to work. For reasons, he must take a taxi or an uber. Yet, not many people wanted to drive others at the time of the morning our neighbor had to go. So my husband came to me and asked if he could drive him to work. I was afraid of the risk and said no. My husband, however, couldn’t let it go. I think because our neighbor has been having a harder time lately. 

I read this verse this morning, and I read something else about hoarding our time, our love, and our resources. And I asked myself whether I was hoarding. So I thought about what it would take to make me feel safer about this. Then I told my husband that I would be okay if he agreed to do these things.

Jesus went willingly into the house of a sick person, a sinner. At the time, they thought leprosy was more contagious than it is. Jesus’s action took courage. He risked his health to have dinner with another person. I am reminded of Luther’s words during the plague of his day: stay at home, fumigate, take care of your neighbors as needed. You may have seen the memes going around. Letting my husband drive my neighbor to work is a risk, but it’s a small one as long as they wear masks and the car is wiped down each day. I’m not good at taking those kinds of risks. I let my fear, safety, and desire for comfort take priority over another's need. There was a clear need, and I was letting my very human fear stop me from helping my neighbor. 

I don’t tell this story to pat myself on the back. I don't think it makes me look good, particularly. It’s more to remind me – and anyone else who wants reminding – that even in this time of covid-19, I can do more than I’m currently doing. And I can do it while taking care of my own needs and with love. Just as Jesus went into the home of a leper(!), we are sometimes asked to go places or take actions we’d rather not go or take. 

Are we willing to take that risk today? 

B

No comments:

Post a Comment